Rules & Regulations for Madison Community Canine Area (CCA)
You are entering an off-leash area for owners/handlers and their dogs. While we welcome parents with children, this CCA is not a playground.
- Small children should be under close supervision of their parent/guardian at all times and should not be running around the CCA as dogs may respond to this with herding or prey instinct.
- Please do not allow your children to approach a dog without the owner/handler’s permission.
- Recreational wheeled toys/transport must be left outside the CCA. This includes scooters, skateboards, bicycles, etc...
- The CCA generally has a good supply of tennis balls and a few communal toys. If your dog is possessive of a certain toy, please do not bring it into the CCA.
- No people-food in the CCA, please. Owners/handlers may bring a small amount of dog treats, but recognize that you may attract unwanted attention from other dogs. Please do not offer treats to another dog without asking the dog’s owner/handler first.
- Dogs must be removed at the first sign of aggression. Aggressive dogs shall not be permitted within any designated off-leash CCA. An "aggressive dog" is defined as a dog that poses a threat to humans or other animals. Handlers/guardians are legally responsible for their dog and any injury caused by them.
- In the event of a dog biting another dog or person, all parties involved, and any witnesses must fill out an Incident Report form located on the back of the Bulletin Board.
Any animal violations or animal bites should be reported immediately to the Department of Animal Control located at the Animal Welfare League of Arlington at 703-931-9241 or 2650 South Arlington Mill Drive, Arlington, VA 22206
- All dogs must be licensed and vaccinated before entering the CCA.
- No dogs less than four months old are permitted in a CCA.
- Female dogs in heat are not allowed in a CCA at any time.
- A handler/guardian may bring in no more than three (3) dogs at a time.
- Professional dog trainers may not use any CCA to conduct business, unless sponsored by Arlington County.
- Dogs must be leashed when entering and exiting the CCA.
- Handlers/guardians must be in possession of their dog's leash at all times.
- Handlers/guardians must remain with their dog and be in view of their dog at all times.
- Handlers/guardians are responsible for the removing dog waste from the CCA and disposing of it in a proper receptacle.
- Handlers/guardians must not allow their dogs to bark on a continuous or frequent basis. It is unlawful for any person who owns, possesses or harbors a dog to permit that dog to create a frequent or continued noise disturbance across a real property boundary or within a nearby dwelling unit. (County Code)
- Handlers/guardians, prior to leaving the CCA, must fill holes dug by their dog.
- Dog grooming is not allowed in any CCA, unless it is part of an Arlington County sponsored program.
- Violations of the leash law, pooper-scooper law and running-at-large law can result in a summons to appear in court and a fine of $100.
- Both rabies vaccination tags and County Dog License tags are required to be secured on your dog's collar at all times.
FOR THEIR OWN PROTECTION, DOGS ARE NOT PERMITTED UNDER THE DECK. PLEASE KEEP FENCE DOORS LATCHED AT ALL TIMES.